Masternode setup guide
Disclaimer, you will get the best results if you do this in one sitting. There is a chance are that the 5,000 coins masternode collateral will stake and split the transaction. If that happens you will have to do step 1.6 again.
1. Initial wallet setup
- 1.1 Download the latest wallet for your operating system which is available in our wallets repository.
- 1.2 Launch the wallet and allow it to synchronize
- 1.3 Click on
debug consolefound in
- 1.4 Type
masternode genkey– copy the generated key and exit the console
Save the private key in a text file for future use.
- 1.5 Go to
receiving walletsfound in
files– create masternode wallet, by creating a new wallet, called
Copy the address by right-clicking and selecting “Copy Address”
- 1.6 Send EXACTLY 5,000 coins to
masternode1wallet by pasting the copied address.
Note that this has to be sent in ONE transaction.
- 1.7 Go back to
debug consoleand type
- 1.8 Copy the transaction id and output id Save the output in the text file for future use.
2. Get a VPS ( masternode server )
We recommend renting a VPS with www.vultr.com because they are fast and cheap.
- 2.1 Create an account:
- 2.2 Deploy a new server
- 2.3 Choose a location close to you to have a fast connection
- 2.4 Choose Ubuntu 16.04 x64 as operating system and take the 5$ server size. This is sufficient.
- 2.5 Move to step 7 and give your masternode VPS a name.
- 2.6 Click “Deploy now”
The server is now being started. Please wait until the status is “Available”.
- 2.7 Click the server name and copy the IP-address and password via the copy button.
Save them in the text file for future use.
3. Configure your masternode
Depending upon which operating system you are using follow the correct section:
3.1 Windows – PuTTY
3.1.1 Install PuTTY and run it.
- You will be greeted with the following page:
- Go to Connection and adjust the session timer to 30. This is to ensure that you don’t get kicked from the server.
- Go back to Session.
- Fill the Host name field with the IP address you previously copied and click “Open”.
- You will see a popup asking you if you trust this host. Choose Yes!( this will only be asked once ).
- Login as “root”. Hit ENTER
- Copy the password you saved previously and right click in the putty terminal. ENTER.
- You are now logged into your server:
3.2 Mac/Linux – Terminal ( preinstalled )
- You can find Terminal by following the steps:
- Go to Finder, Applications then click on utilities, then you’ll find the terminal there
- Type: ssh root@YourMasternodeIPaddress. ENTER.
- You are now logged into your server.
3.3 General steps
Let’s update our system to the latest version to make sure we are secure.
sudo apt-get updateENTER
- Wait until this finishes
sudo apt-get upgradeENTER
- Type “y” if the system ask for the confirmation of updating the system.
Now we start using the power of the script made by Vice#8131 Core member of vice
Remember that you can copy the text below and paste it in to the server via RIGHT-MOUSE click for PuTTY, or CMD-V for MAC
chmod +x vice_masternode_install.shENTER
- Type or copy your masternode private key you created before and saved in that text file. ENTER
- Now get yourself a coffee ☕, this takes approximately 30 minutes.
4. Masternode config file in the wallet
4.1 Go to
open masternode configuration file in the wallet – found on the ‘tools’ menu
Here you will see the format and an example( these three lines are comments so they have no effect )
The format is like this:
# Masternode config file # Format: alias IP:port masternodeprivkey collateral_output_txid collateral_output_index # Example: MN01 127.0.0.2:8089 93HaYBVUCYjEMeeH1Y4sBGLALQZE1Yc1K64xiqgX37tGBDQL8Xg 2bcd3c84c84f87eaa86e4e56834c92927a07f9e18718810b92e0d0324456a67c 0
4.2. Add your own real working node details under it.
4.3. Put the masternode wallet name, i.e –
4.4 Put the server IP address ( your vultr ip or other vps/vm ip) followed by the port :8089
4.5 Put the private key generated in step 1.4
4.6 Put the transaction hash and output id from step 1.7
MN01 124.842.07.0:8089 119cCx5YeA519YkTzun4EptdexAo3RvQXaPdkP 838328ce57cc8b168d932d138001781b77b22470c05cf2235a3284093cb0019db 0
4.7 Once complete, save the file
The file will look like this:
# Masternode config file # Format: alias IP:port masternodeprivkey collateral_output_txid collateral_output_index # Example: mn1 127.0.0.2:8089 93HaYBVUCYjEMeeH1Y4sBGLALQZE1Yc1K64xiqgX37tGBDQL8Xg 2bcd3c84c84f87eaa86e4e56834c92927a07f9e18718810b92e0d0324456a67c 0 MN01 125.804.37.9:8089 119cCx5YeA519YkTzun4EptdexAo3RvQXaPdkP 838328ce57cc8b168d932d138001781b77b22470c05cf2235a3284093cb0019db 0
4.8 Restart the wallet
4.9 Go to your wallet and go to the masternode page.
To verify that the masternode is running on the vps:
./vice-cli masternode statusENTER
- If you get this output you are done:
If you followed these steps correctly your vice masternode should be running right now!
🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉 !!!!! Congratulations, begin earning rewards for supporting the $VICE network! !!!!! 🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉
After some time the rewards will be distributed in your wallet.
Take a look at our FAQ pages https://github.com/viceplatform/FAQ
Encrypt your wallet! This prevents other people ( who have access to your computer or get access to your wallet.dat file ) to get in your wallet. Don’t lose that password. If you lose it the wallet is locked forever and nobobdy will be able to recover your funds.
Backup your wallet! The beauty of digital files is that you can back them up and store them somewhere safe. After encrypting your wallet make sure you back it up and keep it somewhere safe ( on a usb for example).
For the more advanced user I advise making your VPS more secure from all kinds of attacks. We don’t want other people stealing our masternode right? Please look at this guide http://patheyman.com/masternode-secure/ for more info.
If you have a problem or a question you can find us in the #support channel on our Discord.